Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sweet Aroma

I finished Exodus and started Leviticus this morning. In the first three chapters, I read the phrase "sweet aroma to the Lord" six times. Each sacrifice and the directions of how to offer that sacrifice ended with this phrase. (I thought Exodus was full of details - Whoa - Leviticus is the winner on details!) The sweet aroma phrase made me really think. We don't have to do animal sacrifices anymore (thank you Jesus!) but is what I am doing bringing a sweet aroma before God? That led me to think about the garbage dump and even our trash cans. Sometimes the smell is so disgustingly bad that you have to hold your breath.  Am I a sweet aroma or am I a disgusting smell? I know sometimes my actions and my words take my own breath away and not in a good way but because they wreak! 
Ephesians 5:1-2
Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
1 Samuel 15:22
But Samuel replied: "Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the Lord? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams."
So to obey I am to do as asked and an offering is something given to God as an act of worship. Obedience and offerings bring me in to a closer relationship with God. I see the offerings as what I do because I am walking in obedience. Not because I HAVE to but because out of my desire to please God I WANT to. Okay, I'm talking in circles and the rings are getting tighter. :D


Dane is home! They finished up yesterday and he drove home last night. He has the rest of the week off. He doesn't have to go back to work until Monday. We have a lot of catching up to do. I'm glad that he's home and he was safe on his job. I'm also glad that most of the people in Missouri have power again.

Thankful List:
1. Dane's home
2. heat for the winter and air conditioning for the summer
3. doctors and nurses
4. WBVN the Christian radio station I listen to
5. Evan's home too

Off to spend the day with my kids. YeeHaw!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels